Here’s the perfect companion to Nuttzo Seven Nut & Seed Butter! It’s Fiordifrutta Strawberries & Wild Strawberries Organic Fruit Spread made by Rigoni di Asiago. I have been on the lookout for a high quality strawberry fruit spread for over 25 years and finally found a winner!
Fruit spreads (a.k.a. lightly sweetened puréed fruits), are a healthier alternative to sugary sweet jams and jellies. Fiordifrutta makes a fruit spread that is truly “all natural”, simple and delicious. This one contains:
- No high-fructose corn syrup
- No sugar
- No artificial sugar
- No artificial flavors or colors
- No preservatives
Ingredients: Strawberries*, apple juice*, wild strawberries*, pectin. *From organic farming. (Pectin is a soluble fiber found in plants and is used as a thickening agent in most jams and jellies.)
Compare some of the following ingredients in other brands. Notice the first and foremost ingredient:
- Welch’s Natural Strawberry Spread: Sugar, strawberries, fruit pectin, citric acid, red grape juice concentrate, natural flavor.
- Whole Foods 365 Strawberry Fruit Spread: White grape juice concentrate, strawberries, fruit pectin.
- Smucker’s Simply Fruit: Fruit syrup, strawberries, lemon juice concentrate, fruit pectin, red grape juice concentrate added for color, natural flavors.
Why Organic Is Important
Fiordifrutta™ Organic Fruit Spread gets five stars because:
- Strawberries are the first ingredient.
- It’s made only with fruit.
- It’s USDA certified organic.
Why is organic important here? Because strawberries and grapes top the list of “The Dirty Dozen” in that they are the most contaminated of over 48 fruits and vegetables tested for pesticide residue. See When Organic Produce Pays Off.
NOTE: If you’re diabetic and watching your carbohydrate intake, this fruit spread contains only 7 g per 1 tablespoon compared to 13 g in most strawberry jams.
Fit Tip: Spread Fiordifrutta on your breakfast toast, PB&J sandwich, in your favorite unsweetened nonfat Greek yogurt, or pair with a little balsamic vinegar to make a delicious strawberry vinaigrette. They also have other organic fruit spreads, such as pomegranate, wild blueberry, apricot, lemon, fig, pear, peach, raspberry, blackberry, and more.