UPDATE: If you crave spinach dip but cringe at the thought of all the saturated fat and salt, try this as an upgraded alternative. This recipe is a new-fashioned version of a tasty old classic (both dairy and non-dairy).
This leafy green hors d’oeuvre contains a hefty pound of iron-rich spinach. Serve this dip with vitamin C-rich foods, such as bell peppers and broccoli, to help absorb the iron* and boost your energy level.
*Spinach contains non-heme (non-blood) or plant iron which is not easily absorbed as is heme (blood) iron found in meat.
What’s In It…
16 oz. of frozen organic leaf spinach, thawed
- 1/2 cup sweet red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 12 oz. Green Mountain Farms® whipped Greek cream cheese OR Kite Hill® Cream Cheese Style Spread, plain
- 2 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. nonfat milk OR unsweetened milk alternative
- 1 1/2 tsp. juice from fresh lemon
- 1-2 tsp. prepared horseradish (NOT cream-style)
- 20 drops Tabasco®
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Ezekial 4:9® sprouted grain tortilla
*Nutrition Facts: Green Mountain whipped Greek cream cheese contains 45 calories, 1.5 gm of saturated fat, 3 gm protein, and 65 mg sodium per 2 tablespoons. Kite Hill cream cheese style spread contains 70 calories, 0 gm saturated fat, 2 gm protein, and 200 mg sodium per serving.
How It’s Made…
1. Add onion and garlic to a large bowl.
2. Add and mix:
- Cream cheese
- Lemon juice
- Prepared horseradish
- Black pepper to taste
3. Add thawed spinach and mix thoroughly.
4. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Scoop up with veggies and warmed Ezekial 4:9® sprouted grain tortilla wedges. Briefly heat tortillas on both sides in a dry skillet (no oil) or directly over a gas burner on the lowest flame possible. You might prefer to cut them in half first. Then stack the tortillas as you go along and cover to keep them warm.
Organic Sprouted Wheat, Filtered Water, Organic Sesame Seeds, Organic Sprouted Soybeans, Organic Sprouted Barley, Organic Sprouted Millet, Organic Sprouted Lentils, Organic Sprouted Spelt, Sea Salt.
Makes approximately 4 cups.