Here’s the perfect summer salad that’s as colorful as nutritious. This Hawaiian-style seven-layer salad is a meal in itself and easy to make. The light tangy Asian dressing blends the silky texture of the tofu with the crunchy veggie layers.
Made with fresh chopped vegetables (local grown is best!) and salmon that’s packed with heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. Tofu is a high-quality source of vegetable protein, contains no cholesterol, and is rich in healthy isoflavones.
NOTE: Vegetarians can omit the salmon layer.
Salad Dressing – Combine and mix well:
- 1/4 cup preservative-free soy sauce
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
Layer ingredients in the following order:
- 19 oz. medium firm tofu, drained well, cut into small cubes (drizzle a little dressing on the tofu)
- 2 stalks green onions, finely chopped
- 14.75 oz. wild Alaska Sockeye or “red” salmon (flake with a fork)
- 1/2 Japanese or English cucumber, diced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 3/4 green pepper, diced
Pour dressing over the layered ingredients just before serving.
Makes 6-8 servings.