Here’s my mid-morning snack amid a sweltering heat wave today. It was already 91 degrees at 10:00 AM on my front deck. Those of us that live in the San Francisco Bay Area aren’t used to these kinds of temps, but I love it!
I upgraded a classic old-fashioned lemonade that’s loaded with refined sugar (by the cupful!) and flipped it into this antioxidant-rich, plant-based cooler. Try it, stay hydrated and keep cool!
What’s In It..
- 2 cups frozen mango chunks/slices OR about 4 fresh Manila mangos (a.k.a. honey mangos)
- 2 large juicy oranges
- 2 juicy limes
- 1 juicy lemons
- 6 fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup seltzer water (Seltzer is carbonated water. Club soda has sodium added.)
- 1/2 cup of ice cubes/crushed ice
How It’s Made..
- Cut mango and place in a blender. Remove the stems on three strawberries and add them to the blender.
- Freshly squeeze citrus fruits to make:
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
3. Add fruit juices and ice to blender. Blend until smooth.
4. Divide among three frosted glasses.
5. Garnish with a slice of lime and strawberry on the rim of the glass.
- Slush: Pour into a cup and freeze slightly until a little ice-y.
- Popsicles: Pour into popsicle molds and freeze until hard.
- Fizz: Pour into a tall glass, but don’t fill to the top. Top off with seltzer water for a more carbonated refreshment.
Karen’s Fit Tip: I’ve made this with pink grapefruit juice too when I didn’t have oranges and that tasted great too! 😀