Did you know… your brain shrinks a decade before signs of Alzheimer’s disease appear.
A brain affected by Alzheimer’s has far fewer nerve cells and synapses than a healthy brain. The “grey matter” actually begins to shrivel, impairing the ability to process information. The hippocampus, so important to the formation of new memories, shrinks.
The earliest stages of ALZ may begin as many as 20 YEARS BEFORE the disease is severe enough to be diagnosed.
Your brain is aging just like your body. Your hidden bundle of neurons shrink silently until it screams, “I’M IN TROUBLE!”.
Brain Boot Camp, an interactive, research-based training developed by UCLA researchers to optimize brain vitality and health, is available to you. Brain Boot Camp can help you…
- Sharpen memory capacity, slow age-related decline, and help maintain peak memory performance. The UCLA research group has found that using simple memory techniques can activate and strengthen specific neural circuits in the brain’s frontal lobe, a critically important memory-processing center.
- Learn strategies to help you take control over your own brain aging.
- Learn how to form new habits (e.g., eating behaviors).
- Learn tactics and strategies to strengthen synapses. Neuroplasticity is your brain’s ability to continue to change in response to new inputs (experiences) which strengthens synapses.
- Learn how to build up cognitive reserve (a buffer against cognitive decline), i.e., be better able to stave off the degenerative brain changes that are associated with dementia.
- Learn how to develop a more resilient brain and protect it from chronic systemic inflammation.
- Learn how to encourage neurogenesis (new brain cells). Neurogenesis is possible in adult brains. You can actually grow new brain cells.
- Learn how well your brain is protected against oxidative stress — a process that ‘wears away at your brain’ — based on your own antioxidant capacity test score*.
*Brain Boot Camp includes antioxidant capacity testing using Raman resonance spectroscopy — a method of non-invasively determining the antioxidant status in skin tissue.
You have the option of joining an existing group of Campers or creating your own private Boot Camp with colleagues, family, or friends.
Camp Size: Brain Boot Camp is a 3-day non-intimidating interactive program. Sessions are 1-1.5 hours in length.
Camp size/pricing options:
- 4-10 Campers per session
- Semi-private (2-3 Campers) – recommended for couples/spouses
- Private (one-on-one)